Ethics Consultation Services
What is ethics?
Ethics is about reflecting on our values and making decisions that are values-based. Typical ethical questions include:
- What should we do? (What actions are good or right?)
- Why should we do it? (Exploring the reasons for our decisions)
- How should we do it? (What plan is most ethical?)
Patients, families, staff, physicians, and trainees make up the health care team. Health care teams make ethical decisions every day in caring for patients.
However, when teams face difficult choices or conflict arises, the Ethics Consultation Service provides a process to help. This process allows the team to consider their personal and professional values, and to reflect on what is best for patients.
How can the Ethics Consultation Service help?
If you find yourself struggling with a difficult decision about your or your loved one’s care, or you are experiencing moral distress or wondering what is the right thing to do in a complex situation, think about contacting the Ethics Consultation Service.
An Ethics Consultation can assist in the process of ethical decision-making by:
- Discussing the facts of the situation with everyone involved to make sure that the issues, choices, goals, and likely outcomes are clearly understood
- Exploring ethical values, principles, norms, policies, standards and resources
- Making clear the patient’s goals, values, wishes and best interests
What are some examples of when the Ethics Consultation Service can help?
Common situations where the Ethics Consultation Service can help include:
- Disagreements regarding the plan of care or goals of treatment for a patient
- Uncertainty about how to make decisions for a patient who lacks capacity to make his/her own decisions
- Conflict regarding what treatments are best for patients
- Whether you as a patient can refuse treatments or what your rights are when in hospital
If you are not sure if the Ethics Consultation Service can help in your situation, please contact us and we will discuss your situation and, if necessary, connect you to the right service.
How do I contact the Ethics Consultation Service?
There are three ways to reach the Ethics Consultation Services at Quinte Health:
1. Email email@example.com
2. Phone 613-969-7400 extension 2934
3. Fill out this online form: