Skip to Content

Know Where to Go


Know Where to Go

Do you live and Hastings and Prince Edward Counties but don’t have a family doctor or nurse practitioner? When your health concern isn’t an emergency, it can be challenging to ‘know where to go’ to get the medical care you and your loved ones need. 

Consider your health situation and review the options below to help you decide where to seek care. Please refer to this helpful infographic to determine if the Emergency Department is the right place to receive care based on the symptoms you are experiencing.  

Female on a couch looking ill with her hand on her forehead and a blanket wrapped around her body.

If you need non-emergency medical assistance, you have many options:

  1. Contact your primary care provider  (family doctor or nurse practitioner).
  2. NEW – COVID, Cold & Flu Care Clinics in Belleville, Trenton and Tweed. The clinics will run November 27, 2023 to February 2, 2024.  Appointments must be booked in advance. Click here for info.
  3. Visit Health811  - 24 hours a day, seven days a week to get health advice, help navigate health services and find information.
  4. Visit one of the Local Walk-In Clinics in our communities (please note: Bayview Medical Clinic has closed as of May 2023). Great Lakes Walk-In Clinic Belleville has an on-site physician available Monday to Friday from 9:30 3:30 p.m. (last patient at 2 p.m.)
  5. Use a virtual care option: East Region Virtual Care Clinic, CoverHealth,, Telus HealthMyCare,,,, Virtual Health Clinic – many of these options can provide non-narcotic prescriptions.
  6. If you have an urgent medication refill, speak with your pharmacist. They can often provide short-term refills and other advice.
  7. Visit a  Local Pharmacy to receive prescriptions for 19 common ailments:
    • Acid reflux (gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD))
    • Acne
    • Canker sores
    • Cold sores (herpes labialis)
    • Dermatitis (atopic, eczema, allergic and contact)
    • Diaper rash
    • Hay fever (allergic rhinitis)
    • Hemorrhoids
    • Impetigo
    • Insect bites and hives
    • Menstrual cramps (dysmenorrhea)
    • Nausea and vomiting in pregnancy
    • Oral thrush (candidal stomatitis)
    • Parasitic worms (pinworms and threadworms)
    • Pink eye (conjunctivitis; bacterial, allergic and viral)
    • Sprains and strains (musculoskeletal)
    • Tick bites (post-exposure prophylaxis to prevent Lyme disease)
    • Urinary tract infections (UTIs)
    • Yeast infections
  8. If you are experiencing a mental health crisis and require emergency intervention, contact the Crisis Intervention Centre
  9. If you don’t have a family doctor and would like to register for one - Health Care Connect
  10. For community supports and social services, call 2-1-1 or visit